RAGBRAI Iowa City Volunteer Information
We still need many volunteers to make event successful, please share the volunteer link and information to your connections! We need your help! www.iowacityragbraivols.org
- Getting to and from Ragbrai areas will be difficult due to the Ragbrai Rider Route. The riders will come to Iowa City from the south on Sand Road and will ride North to downtown Gilbert Street and will turn toward the City Park campgrounds on Market Street. The Ragbrai map is available here: http://iowacityragbrai.com/wp-
Downtown Area Volunteers: Parking will be reserved for volunteers on the top level of the Tower Place Ramp (1 S. Gilbert St). The ramp entrance is located on Iowa Avenue. A single use parking validation will be available for volunteers at volunteer check-in. You do not need it to park, only to exit. Even if ramp says it is full, there should be spots at the top. Once parked, you can walk or a volunteer golf cart shuttle will be available to transport volunteers to check-in. Please be careful crossing Gilbert St. as this is rider route. It will be a controlled intersection. Please allow plenty of time for parking.
- If you are coming to volunteer from the East of downtown, please avoid any East/West streets south of Iowa Avenue due to the rider route. Iowa Avenue will be open to volunteers to get to Tower Place Ramp.
- If you are coming to volunteer from the West of downtown, please use I-80 and use the North Dodge Exit #246, the support vehicles for Ragbrai will be using the Dubuque Street exit and traffic will be very heavy on Dubuque Street.
Volunteer Check-in for Downtown Area Volunteers will be at Merge on the Ped Mall. (136 S Dubuque Street—West of the Iowa City Public Library) Please plan to arrive 15-20 minutes before you scheduled shift to allow for parking and check-in.
City Park Area Volunteers: Parking spots will be reserved for volunteers at the Iowa City Park Pool area in Upper City Park. There will be signs indicating volunteer parking. A volunteer golf cart shuttle will be available to transport volunteers to volunteer shifts.
- If you are coming to volunteer at the City Park Area, the only car route available to you is Hwy 6 Coralville to Rocky Shore Drive to Park Road. The Address for the City Park Pool is 200 Park Road, Iowa City. All other routes will Ragrai riders and the Park Road Bridge will be closed to car traffic.
Volunteer Check-in for City Park Area Volunteers will be at Lower City Park Riverside Festival Stage. Please plan to arrive 15-20 minutes before you scheduled shift to allow for parking and check-in.
Any Other Area Volunteers: For Terry Trueblood Area and Napolean Park Area, parking will be available at Terry Trueblood Recreation Center, there will be parking spots marked for volunteers. Please use McCollister Blvd to get to the area and do not use Gilbert Street/Sand Road. For Mercer Park Volunteers, parking is available in the back parking lot at Southeast Junior High. Volunteer Check-in for Other Area Volunteers will be to report directly to the location.
**If you are volunteering on July 26 or July 28 for pre-event setting up or post-event activities, please check-in directly at the location.
If you have not picked up your volunteer t-shirt and you would like it before your shift, you can pick up your t-shirt at the United Way Office, Monday through Friday (9 am to 5 pm) at 1150 5th Street, Ste 290 in Coralville. You will also be able to get your volunteer t-shirt at Volunteer Check-in. You can contact me at 319-338-7823 with any questions. Your volunteer t-shirt will get you into Volunteer Hospitality areas and if you are 21 and over, you will get a free wristband for the rest of the day after shift. Volunteer Waivers A signed volunteer waiver is required for volunteering at Ragbrai Iowa City.
If you have not already completed a waiver, you can print and sign the attached waiver and send it back to me by email, bring it with you when you check-in for your shift or sign a waiver at Volunteer Check-in. Here is the link to the volunteer waiver:
Specific Information for Campground Volunteers: Please reference: https://iowacityragbrai.com/ City Park: Volunteer Hospitality (refreshments and rest area)and the restroom is at Shelter 14 attached to the maintenance shop in Lower City Park. Duties will include directing riders to camping areas, trash, and recycling monitoring, information sharing for riders, restroom monitoring/restocking. Mercer: Volunteers need to park in the back parking lot at Southeast Junior High. Report to Mercer Scanlon Gym. Duties will include directing riders to camping areas, trash, and recycling monitoring, information sharing for riders, restroom monitoring/restocking.
Napoleon: Volunteers need to park at Terry Trueblood (TTRA). Duties will include directing riders to camping areas, trash and recycling monitoring, information sharing for riders, restroom monitoring/restocking.
Specific Information for Information Center Volunteers:
- Info center volunteers will be available to answer any questions the riders or the support vehicles may have. They may draw on their own experiences of the Iowa City area and utilize the information handbook.
- The volunteers for the last shifts will also be responsible for tearing down and cleaning up.
- If a need arises we may have a roaming volunteer walk through City Park to make sure people are doing ok.
- Be kind and courteous- if you don’t know the answer ASK!
Specific Information for Beverage Garden Volunteers:
- MUST take IPACT Training if registered for any beverage garden duty ( https://i-pact.com/portal)
- 7 entrances throughout downtown fenced in blocks with radios at each location
- Downtown Wristband is FREE for all Registered RAGBRAI riders, $10 for non-RAGBRAI
- Wristband not required, but needed to utilize open container law and purchasing alcohol at beverage tent
- Beverage Tent open 6pm-10pm, Open Container law in effect Noon-Midnight
- $5 tickets or 5/$20 – redeem 1 ticket for 1 alcoholic beverage OR 1 ticket for 2 waters at beverage tent
- 2 drink maximum per beverage tent visit
- No Drinking during the shift. Volunteer shirt gets you a free wristband for the rest of the day after shift.
If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact us at 319-338-7823 or e-mail at email@example.com.